Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday | 08

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 with 8 comments
Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Breaking the Spine, which features upcoming releases that I am anticipating the most. There are so many good books coming out, but here is what I am obsessing over at the moment:

December 6, 2012

An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, guns--and the heroines who use them all.

Set in Edwardian London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent and talented young women, all of whom are assistants to powerful men: Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. The three young women's lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man.

It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder--and the crimes they believe may be connected to it--without calling too much attention to themselves.

Told with Adrienne Kress's sharp wit and a great deal of irreverence, this Steampunk whodunit introduces three unforgettable and very ladylike--well, relatively ladylike--heroines poised for more dangerous adventures.


February 5, 2013

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

8 comments:

  1. I saw Etiquette and Espionage the other day and it looks awesome, very steampunk this week anyway. It;s a genre I need to try to get mor einto.

    New follower :)

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost used Etiquette and Espionage today as well:) I hadn't heard of The Friday Society and just added it to my goodreads list! Have a great week. OH, here is mine:
    http://myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com/2012/07/waiting-on-wednesday-7182012-dangerous.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two books look so interesting and different. I like WOW because I always discover new books.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. These two books sound awesome! I love their covers, too. :) Great picks!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic picks! Th Friday Society sounds amazing and fun! Definitely going on my TBR list! :)
    Thanks for stopping by my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Friday Society sounds so cool! & omg! Gail Carriger could write a book about jam and I'd still be excited haha!

    Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like steampunk so this is just right up my alley. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)