Tuesday, July 24, 2012


A Meme By The Broke and the Bookish

1) The Wizarding World of Harry Potter by JK Rowling - Not only is Hogwarts so vivid I've imagined myself there many times, but there's also the Ministry of Magic Headquarters, the Quidditch World Cup, the Burrow, and 12 Grimmauld Place, all of which I can picture instantly

2) Middle-earth from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - Do I even have to explain how amazing this world is? From the warmth of the Shire, to the mysterious beauty of Rivendell, all the way to the depths of Mordor itself, Tolkien has created a world which will never die

3) Panem from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - The games themselves are very vivid, as is the Capitol, but it's the descriptions of the districts as a future America that really intrigues me

4) Morganville from The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine - How scary to imagine going to college in a city secretly run by vampires! I thought it was a clever system Caine set up, in which humans could earn protection from certain vampires in return for blood donations, while unsuspecting out-of-towners were up for grabs if they made the mistake of wandering the streets at night

5) Wonderland from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Carroll really brought this world to life, where anything can happen, and nothing ever is as it seems

6) New Beijing from Cinder by Marissa Meyer - This was definitely a fun world to explore; I enjoyed imagining the marketplace, as well as the emperor's palace; very futuristic and adventurous

7) Feednet & Future America from feed by MT Anderson - The feednet is the future of the internet, and a very scary one, in which a chip is implanted in your brain and you're fed information 24/7; I love how in the background of the novel, you're given vague descriptions of Corporate-ruled America, which lead you to understand that the planet is dying, thanks to us destructive humans

8) The Middle Ages from My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison - Incompetent fairy godmother Chrysanthemum Everstar sends Tansy to the Middle Ages to live as both Cinderella and Snow White after a wish gone wrong, and it's easy to imagine the world as it was then; it makes me very glad for electricity and indoor plumbing

9) Incryptid New York City from Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire - I just love how seamlessly the incryptids (various supernatural beings) are woven in with the rest of the NYC population; plus the author was great at describing their histories

10) San Francisco from Little Brother by Corey Doctorow - Doctorow made it easy to imagine the high-tech city of SF once the Department of Homeland Security took it over after terrorist attacks; it was a very scary place, especially knowing it was possible

8 comments:

  1. I loved reading through this list! Oh yes to the wizarding world of Harry Potter - too bad I'd probably be a muggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Beijing is such a great choice. I love that book!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with #1, #2 and #6. I have no clue what the others are! :D Fabulous choices! My top favourite would be Middle-Earth, and it's heavily biased coming from such a LOTR fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I think the wizarding world and Middle Earth have been on every list I've read so far :D. (Including my own) Here's mine: http://bookishnotions.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/top-ten-tuesday-most-vivid-worlds/
    It would be great if you checked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few of these on my list as well, but I haven't read that many of your other choices. They look like great picks, though! Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderland was one I forgot to add on my list that I wish I had! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Top 1 should really be HP's world. :)

    btw, I nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award. Here's the info: in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I have the first three but didn't even think about My Fair Godmother!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)