Friday, June 15, 2012

Follow Friday | 02

Friday, June 15, 2012 with 9 comments
Follow Friday, or Feature & Follow, is a meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. The premise is for bloggers to get to know other bloggers, and keep in touch with each other. This weeks questions:


Happy Father's Day! Who is your favorite dad character in a book and why?

My favorite dad character would definitely have to be Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. He was such an amazing father! He did what he could to raise his children as a single father, and they really looked up to him - you can tell by Scout's narration that he influenced them tremendously.  

I also liked that he let his children make decisions for themselves. He trusted them enough to believe they were capable of forming their own opinions. Plus, he showed them the importance of reading, and actually had meaningful conversations with them as equals, rather than treating them as nothing more than children. I read many books featuring children or teens where the parents seem almost non-existent, so it's nice to read something where the parent is actually an integral part of their children's lives.

Other reasons to love him:

- He sees people as they are, and, despite the era he lives in, does not discriminate against others based on religion or race

- He loves to read, and thus is full of wisdom

- He's a total bad-ass! That scene where he shoots the rabid dog with the rifle, and you learned of his old nickname, "One-Shot Finch" was so cool!

Atticus Finch and his bad-ass self, as portrayed by the sexy Gregory Peck
Atticus Finch, looking very much like Clark Kent with a bit of a Flynn Rider smoulder

You know, funnily enough I haven't even seen the film yet. I really ought to get around to it - it may be one of the only Gregory Peck movies I haven't seen.

9 comments:

  1. Old follower now also following through Linky, I read this book years ago and I vaguely remember the character, my FF

    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/feature-and-follow-friday-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also picked Atticus! Love him! :) New follower!

    Here is my FF:
    http://oliviasbookaholiclife.blogspot.com/2012/06/follow-friday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! (obviously, since he was one of my picks too :-))

    I love the picture with the rifle, where his glasses are pushed up on his forehead. Clark Kent indeed!

    New follower via GFC!

    Thanks for stopping by my FF post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten about Atticus until I saw his name popping up all over today. Great choice! I've never seen the movie, either; I really should watch it one of these days. New GFC follower.

    Our FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this answer. Love Love Love. Atticus was a great fictional man, especially for his time. I love how well you explain it.

    My follow friday. Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been so many years since I read To Kill a Mockingbird I don't really remember it at all. Just a few scenes are like snapshots in my brain. I picture them, but don't remember anything else.
    Thanks for stopping by and following! Following back. :)
    I was going to say that I adore your header, it's very pretty! And then I saw Lori designed and I see why I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why didn't I think of him before? This is such a great answer! Love it. :)

    New Follower
    Here's my FF: http://yabookseasons.blogspot.com/2012/06/follow-friday-is-meme-hosted-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My gosh. I deserve a huge face palm for forgetting about the amazing Atticus Finch!!! He's definitely one of the best literary fathers EVER!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices! I am a new follower, did both GFC and Linksy (heard the GFC might be going away??) anyway you can find my link here FF Post

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)