Thursday, January 17, 2013

{the.book.chat} Bookish Pet Peeves

Thursday, January 17, 2013 with 4 comments

Photobucket 

Wow, it's been a while since I've participated in The Book Chat, but here I am! Today's chat, in addition to being hosted by Sweet Green Tangerine, will also be hosted by Dear Brighton, who came up with today's discussion topic: 

What are some of your bookish pet peeves?

I know that when I'm reading, there are quite a few things that will really bug me. Here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

  1. The Mary Sue and her male equivalent, Gary Stu (or sometimes Marty Stu). I just can't stand when characters are portrayed as being nearly perfect or good at everything, as they just don't feel real to me.

  2. Insta-love. I just don't believe it. I like when books have romance, but the characters have to have substance to their relationship, such as being friends first or being annoyed by each other but gradually falling in love. Something believable, please!

  3. Dog-eared pages. I just don't see why people have to ruin a perfectly good book by folding the page corners when almost anything can function as a book mark. I myself tend to use business cards, as I find them all over.

  4. When you can't tell which character said a certain line. Okay, this is rare, but once in a while there will be a book with a conversation involving multiple characters, and at some point something will be said without any clues as to who said it, and it'll piss me off! I know it really isn't that big of a deal, but it really bugs me.

  5. When people interrupt me while I'm reading. Self-explanatory, really.

  6. When people gush about the movies but refuse to read the book. Or even if they hate the movies and thus refuse to read the book. I can't tell you how many of my friends won't read the HP series, but talk about the movies like they're the best thing ever. Gahhh!!!! Also, my sister is reluctant to read the Hunger Games just because she didn't like the movie. I even bought her a copy of the first book to get her into it, and told her that I thought the movie sucked, too (which I do.)

  7. Mass-market paperbacks. I just prefer trade paperbacks or hardcovers. They look prettier.

  8. Movie tie-in book covers, or "Now A Major Motion Picture!" This is so annoying - I always prefer the original cover to the movie tie-in covers. And I don't care if it was made into a movie, don't ruin the cover by stamping that across it! I always have to go out of my way to ensure that I buy books with the exact covers that I want them to have.

  9. White-washed covers. This means you, Through The Ever Night! Neither Perry nor Roar are white, so why the heck does your cover feature a white Abercrombie male?! Now I have to hold off on purchasing the sequel until a version is released somewhere with an acceptable cover.

  10. Rushed endings, or when things are tied-up way too easily. Why go through all the trouble of writing such a great book, just to wrap everything up in a hurried manner? It can really ruin a story for me.

Wow, that's a lot! I think I'll stick with ten, though I'm sure I can come up with more, f I had enough time. So, how about you guys, what are your bookish pet peeves? Please share them in the comments - I'd love to hear them!

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I agree with almost all of these, especially the rushed ending. I do like mass market paperbacks though. I didn't used to, but now that my shelves are full, I have discovered that they are much easier to part with, plus they fit nicely in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on number four. I'm reading a book right now, and sometimes i'm not sure who said what. So frustrating!

    Also, I'm not a huge fan of insta-love or Mary Sue/Marty Stu characters either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! It's nice to see that many of us have the same pet peeves.
    I totally agree with the movie poster book covers. Hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with the insta-love thing! It's NEVER believable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)