Saturday, September 14, 2013

Dragonskin Slippers by Jessica Day George

Saturday, September 14, 2013 with No comments


Many stories tell of damsels in distress, who are rescued from the clutches of fire-breathing dragons by knights in shining armor, and swept off to live happily ever after.

Unfortunately, this is not one of those stories.

True, when Creel's aunt suggests sacrificing her to the local dragon, it is with the hope that the knight will marry Creel and that everyone (aunt and family included) will benefit handsomely. Yet it's Creel who talks her way out of the dragon's clutches. And it's Creel who walks for days on end to seek her fortune in the king's city with only a bit of embroidery thread and a strange pair of slippers in her possession.

But even Creel could not have guessed the outcome of this tale. For in a country on the verge of war, Creel unknowingly possesses not just any pair of shoes, but a tool that could be used to save her kingdom…or destroy it.

Wow. This book was utterly fantastic! I've dabbled a bit in reading fantasy novels, but I'm still rather new to the genre. I picked this book up because a reading challenge I'm participating in required that a book featuring dragons be read for the month of September, and as the synopsis for Dragonskin Slippers sounded appealing, I chose to give it a shot. I was not disappointed.

This book definitely got my emotions riled up - I had to put it down a few times just because I was so worked up about what was happening in the story. Ms. George truly is an excellent story-teller, and writes in a way that makes it seem like she is not merely telling you a story, but showing you. There were instances when I wasn't even aware I was reading, so lost was I in her words.

Creel was a very like-able protagonist, and her character, along with the other leading characters, was very well fleshed-out. I especially enjoyed reading about the dragons, and how instead of hoarding gold, they each hoarded certain items for collection (such as the dragon Shardas, who hoarded stained-glass windows, or the dragon Feniul, who collected live dogs!) It was a rather a unique take on dragon lore, at least as far as I'm familiar with it. 

This novel had action, drama, secrets, backstabbing, strong friendships, a developing romance, and lots of amazing characters - just what any good fantasy story needs. The ending was tied up nicely, but still left me hungry for more. As this is the first book in a trilogy, I'm looking forward to delving into more of Creel's heroic exploits. This book is highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a good adventure!


Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)