Tuesday, September 03, 2013

{Blogtember} Where I Come From

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 with 4 comments

It's the first day of Blogtember, and today's prompt is all about where I come from: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are. I think that a big part of who I am has to do with the city I was raised in - El Paso, Texas. I grew up right on the border, with a Mexican mother (from Torreón) and a father from New Jersey (whose grandfather had emigrated from Ireland). El Paso is a very large, friendly, and laid-back city with a lot of culture and a strong sense of Hispanic pride. I'm always proud to say that I'm from El Paso, because it makes me feel as though I'm part of a special club. "Oh, you're from El Paso? I've been there once - I ate at Chico's Tacos."


My Mom & Dad
My family is pretty large - I grew up as number six out of seven kids, four boys and three girls (not counting two older half-sisters who live in a different city). That's a lot under one roof, especially when you only have one bathroom. Still, I always had someone around to talk to or fight with (and yes, with so many of us, we fight a lot), and my parents never had to worry that any of us would grow up spoiled, since hand-me-downs and sharing were the norm for us.

My father passed away the summer before my senior year of high school, so the photo on the right is the only photo I have on my computer of my parents together. Digital cameras were still new to me then.

Oldest To Youngest: Martin, Tommy, Bobby, Brian, Elizabeth, Me, Angelica
As soon as I graduated high school, I chose to go to college in San Antonio, as I wanted to experience life away from home for the first time. I had never really left El Paso at all before, so I really enjoyed exploring more of Texas. I even spent a semester abroad in London, England, and did some traveling to other European cities during the weekends. I think that being a part of such a large family and not getting to travel as a child really played a big factor in my wanting to go abroad - I yearned to do something independent for once, and experience new cultures (as well as learn more about the Irish part of my family tree since I was close enough to visit the country easily). I still hope to travel more in the future.

The home I grew up in - if you can see it behind all the trees...
But for now, I have graduated college and am back in El Paso. I don't know what the future holds for me, but no matter where I travel, I will always be glad to have my family and my city to return to.

This is my first Blogtember post.
If you're interested in participating in Blogtember, please click on the button below:

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Six brothers and sisters! I always wanted to be part of a large family as I was an only child for eight years.
    How lovely that you got to travel for a while, it's great experiencing different cultures.
    Have a good day Kimberley :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit that there were probably moments when I wondered what it would be like to be an only child - hehe! I guess I'll never know. At least you probably got more attention as a kid - most of the time I was on my own in that department. :)

      Delete
  2. Ohh, I love this. That side of Texas is like another world to me. I met a girl the other day from "The Valley" Near Brownsville. I had never heard it called that till this week. I loved hearing how different parts of texas are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post about where you come from. I'm currently living in Texas now, Austin to be specific. I have yet to be to El Paso. I'm terribly jealous of your semester abroad in London. I haven't been to London (or England for that matter) but boy do I want to go. Thanks for sharing your story Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)