Thursday, February 07, 2013

{the.book.chat} Re-Reading Books

Thursday, February 07, 2013 with 8 comments


I'm just gonna come out and say it: I am a huge believer in re-reading books, and not just once or twice, but over and over again. I mean, of course it really just depends on the book, but I find nothing wrong with immersing yourself in a world as often as you wish. Take Harry Potter, for example. I re-read that series probably more than any other books combined - just about every year or two, depending on if I have the time. And no, I have never grown tired of it, I just happen to love the world Rowling created so much that I want to re-visit it as often as I can.

I also have a guilty-pleasure re-read, which I'm not afraid to admit is the Twilight series. I know the flaws in those books, sure, but I also don't care. I still am a sappy romantic at heart, and Twilight is my third most re-read series, right after Harry Potter and Secret Society Girl (which does not count as a guilty pleasure, as it is pure awesome). I actually re-read the first Twilight book a lot more often than the others, as that series actually just gets weirder as it progresses, leading to a bunch of WTF?! moments scattered in the final book. And while I enjoy the books, please don't mention the movies to me because I absolutely despise them (same for the HP films). As I said, guilty pleasure.


And of course, with so many series coming out, I usually find myself re-reading books just so I can remember what's happened before a sequel is released. If I have to wait a whole year, sometimes more, for the next book to come out, chances are I may not remember the majority of what's going on without re-reading its predecessors (or at least looking up a summary online if I don't have the time, but I prefer re-reads). This is why I have taken such a long hiatus from The Morganville Vampires, a super long series that I made the mistake of taking a break after reading book 8, and now there's a lot I don't remember. I may have to re-read it all (that series has 15 books, people).

My Top 5 Most Re-Read Books
  1. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
  2. The Secret Society Girl Series by Diana Peterfreund
  3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  4. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  5. The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anywho, I know that many people don't like re-reading books because they can't seem to find the time, or they'd rather read new books, but I am definitely not one of them. For me, re-reading is actually comforting - just like re-watching a beloved movie. So, what do you guys think - do you re-read? Why or why not? Feel free to either comment below, or join us by making your own post and linking up HERE.

8 comments:

  1. Found you through the link up! It's awesome to see something so different on someones reread list, Frankenstein! I doubt very many people have read it the first time through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to re-read too and Harry Potter is on my most read list as well. I never bored re-reading. I love your header too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear by re-reading! I don't care that "it's a waste of time, since there are so many new books" I love to return to my favorite characters. Harry Potter is by far the most re-read book on my shelves. I re-read it almost every year and I don't get tired of it. Ever. Another book is The book thief, because that is such a gorgeous story with one of the most beautiful writing-styles ever. I also like to pick up the books from Marillier, because I adore her characters and the Celtic influences in her work.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a lot of rereading. I can't say I reread as much as you do, but I'm glad you have the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't re-read some books lately, but my most-reread book is Jane Austen. Followed by Harry Potter. Some books are pure awesome but I can't bear to read them a second time, for psychological reasons, such as Thirteen Reasons Why. I love the book but...it felt too close for comfort at some points hehe.

    And...yes, I'm right there with you, sister, I have reread Twilight. Once. or Twice. Okay, maybe three times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Another believer in re-reading! It made me sad to see so many people who were too busy reading new books to go back to the old. But seriously, old favorites are the BEST. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big re-reader, but I'm also not a big re-watcher. I did re-read the HP books when I was waiting for the movies to come out, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big rereader either but I've read the hunger games more than once. Frankenstein was hard for me to read the first time, I much preferred Dracula

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)