Tuesday, February 19, 2013


Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight 


I can't believe that the only reason I ended up reading this book was because it contained the word "sweet," thus making it eligible to be February's read in Bookmark to Blog's 2013 Monthly Key Word Challenge. I am so grateful that reading challenges exist which make me pick up books I wouldn't otherwise get around to reading - this was such a good read!

I've gotten used to books that are written in different perspectives, but it was a completely different experience reading a novel told from the perspectives of three very different, yet identical triplets. I applaud Ms. Childs for giving the girls very distinct voices, so that I had no trouble telling them apart. I also found it interesting that each girl had such different backgrounds as well, being separated at birth: Gretchen grew up in a lower-class home without love and spent time living on the streets, Grace grew up in a loving home of a middle-class family, and Greer grew up in a wealthy upper-class home and got everything that she wanted materialistically, but was ignored by her parents.

I thought I was going to end up having a favorite sister, but I really ended up liking all three sisters equally - even Greer, who was a bit of a snob, but still loveable. Plus, the story was so face-paced that it was hard to put it down. The idea that mythological monsters are entering our world through a doorway from another world, and that the girls have to fight those monsters and send them back, is very appealing. Even more so when you discover that all of the normal rules (such as monsters only appearing at night, and one at a time) are drastically changing, and that someone's put a bounty on the girls' heads.

I hope to find out more about their past in later books to the series - especially about their ancestor Medusa and her sisters, and why they were chosen to maintain the balance between worlds. I can't wait to start the next book! This is the first book I have read from this author, and from the good impression I received, I will certainly be checking out some of her other novels after I finish this series. 5 of 5 Stars!


Labels:

1 comment:

  1. This novel has such an interesting concept - I'm definitely adding it to my TBR! Great review! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)