Tuesday, September 01, 2015

R.I.P. X

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 with 2 comments
Artwork by Abigail Larson
It's that time of year again! I have been looking forward to starting the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril X challenge (R.I.P. X), as I really love reading spooky novels and watching scary movies during the Autumn season in September and October. Normally, this event is hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings, but this year he has passed the torch onto The Estella Society. R.I.P. never fails to get me in the Halloween spirit (my favorite holiday of the year, FYI), so no matter the host, I am in!

This post is where I will keep track of my goals and progress, and I will be updating it periodically throughout the course of the event. Keep in mind that this challenge isn't just limited to Halloween/Horror, but also includes Mystery, Suspense, Gothic, Dark Fantasy, Supernatural, and pretty much anything that gives off a similar vibe. R.I.P X will officially run from September 1st - October 31st, so if you'd like to join in the fun, please do so!

"Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between."
Goal: Read At Least 4 Spooky (or Monster-y) Novels
1) Here They Lie by D.K. Burrow
2) Chasing The Moon by A. Lee Martinez
3)
4)

"I am a big fan of short stories and my desire for them is perhaps no greater than in Autumn. I see Poe and Lovecraft in my future for sure, and some Angela Carter. You can read short stories any time during the challenge."
Goal: Read At Least 3 Creepy Short Stories
1)
2)
3)

"This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film."
Goal: Watch At Least 10 Horror Films
1) The Mist (2007)
2) Altar (2014)
3) Psycho (1960)
4) Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

And as always, if any of you know if there are any other reading challenges going on this month that are Halloween-related, please let me know so I can check them out!

2 comments:

  1. I actually haven't participated in this event before, but I'm trying to do more events and this covers so many genres, I'm sure I can find something I like to start out with. I just need to pick my perils so I can sign up :) Yours look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is low-pressure, which makes it more fun! I really like the diversity of the categories - I enjoy watching scary movies, but I don't want to feel bad about taking time away from reading to watch them. This event gives me the excuse I'm looking for by including them in the challenge. ^^

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)