Sunday, September 14, 2014

Where I've Read

Sunday, September 14, 2014 with 7 comments












Tanya at Girlxoxo.com created this awesome reading map, which visually documents the settings of the books she has read using pins on Google Maps. I've always wanted to create a reading map myself, but just wasn't sure about the best way to go about doing so. It turns out, Google Maps was the answer that I was looking for all along!

Little by little I'll be filling out this map, starting with what I've read in 2012, since that was the year that I really started using Goodreads on a regular basis to track my reading. So far, I'm really liking the fact that I can color-code my pins - I've been using a different color for each year, and creating a new layer for each year, as well (so that I can filter them easier). I also like that I can include a picture of the book cover on each pin!

The only issue I've had so far is figuring out where some of the books I've read have taken place - not all of them list a setting on Goodreads or in their synopsis, and I don't exactly remember them all. If anyone knows of a good resource I can use to figure this out without having to go through the books again, please let me know!

In the meantime, you can check out the progress I've made on my map
Labels:

7 comments:

  1. This is a really cool idea! I'd totally love doing this as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's surprisingly easy, and it's rather satisfying to see all of my reading mapped out. I'm a very visual person, and maps are definitely a form of eye-candy for me :)

      Delete
  2. I'm loving looking through your map! I run into the same issue when I don't record my books right away - can' remember what country they are set in. I try not to worry about it too much and move on if I can't find out - which I try by google the name of the book and add the word "setting" to the end.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for the idea! It's been fun working on it! I'm at the Googling stage now that I've mapped what I can, so I'll give your tip a try and see how many I can find. What makes it difficult is that most of what I've read has been on my Kindle, so it's harder to browse through my eReader than it is to crack open a book and peruse through the pages for settings. It won't stop me from trying, though!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea, I'm definitely going to have to do it! I'm sure I've probably forgotten where a lot of them took place though too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's fun - plus, I like the idea of continuing to fill it in little by little over time. I can't wait to see what it'll look like farther on down the line...

      Delete
  4. Wow. This is such an AWESOME idea! Thank you for sharing, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)