Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top 10 Things I'd Like To Read More About

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 with 7 comments
A Meme By The Broke and the Bookish

Today's top 10 list was a lot of fun to put together - it's pretty much a compilation of the various things that I wish authors would write about so that I can read them. According to The Broke and the Bookish website, this list can refer to "a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a time period, a certain plot, etc" - anything you'd like to read about but haven't been able to find enough of. Here's my list of 10 things I would really love to read about (feel free to give me some recs if you know a book that features any of the following):

College Life
I don't want college to be just a background, I really want to read about people who are going experiencing campus life, and trying to find a major, make friends, etc.

Life After College
I really want more books that I can relate to right now, such as trying to find a job/career, making friends & forming relationships in 'the real world,' etc.

Exotic Settings
I'd love to see more NA/YA novels set in foreign locations, especially lesser-used ones (Daughter of Smoke & Bone featured Prague & Marrakesh!)

NA Military Life
There are plenty of military novels out there, but I'd really like to see some New Adult novels featuring characters who are just starting out in or deciding to join the military.

Realistic Relationships In NA/YA
I'm sick and tired of insta-love and relationships that have one bump and flow perfectly afterwards. I want to see romances that take time to develop, or relationships that are strictly platonic without any romance at all. Also, it would be nice to see books that focus on friendships or familial relationships rather than romantic ones.

Nerdy Lead Characters
I've been seeing more of these lately - keep 'em coming! But do they all have to be romances?!

'Bookish' Books
More books about books, bookstores, librarians, etc. please!

Contemporary Texas Settings
I've hardly seen any of these, whether in YA, NA, or even Adult fiction (unless you count romances, but I have no interest in Harlequin Cowboys/etc.). I want to see more books set in my home state!

East Asian Culture In NA/YA
Especially ones actually set in China, since I'm studying Mandarin and would like to read books related to the country whose language I'm trying to learn. I'd also like to see books set in the other East Asian countries, or featuring Asian-Americans, or set in China-Town, etc. Anything!!!

Underwater Research Facilities
Are there any of these? Preferably YA or NA related. This would make an awesome setting!


What do you think? Is there anything you'd like to see more of in the books that you read? Please let me know in the comments, or link to your own Top 10 Tuesday post and I'll be sure to check it out!

7 comments:

  1. Live the idea of underwater research facilities! Tons of possibilities there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think! I'm surprised that idea hasn't been tapped into yet...

      Delete
    2. I have an underwater research facility in my book CLICKS! It's YA about lifeguards and dolphins and genetic engineering. I'd be happy to send you a copy if you'd like to take a read.

      Delete
  2. Good list, I've always wished that there were more nerdy main characters in just about everything and I love realistic relationships as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the "life after college" subject, especially with the added caveat that it would be nice if they weren't all entirely romance-based. It seems like most novels think "Oh, you're done with college? Time to get married!" It'd be nice to see deeper themes explored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, I want more nerdy girl characters, too. And bookish characters as well. I love when there is a main character librarian! Well, as long as the librarian isn't all stereotypical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true - when I read a book that mentions a librarian, it's usually because they are shushing people!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)