Sunday, January 05, 2014

{Bout of Books 9.0} Goals + Progress

Sunday, January 05, 2014 with 7 comments
Hey guys, welcome to 2014! Sorry that I haven't posted anything this past week, but the holiday was pretty busy for me. I'm glad to be back, though, and I hope you all had an enjoyable holiday! How great is it to be able to start off the year with another Bout of Books read-a-thon to help you kick-start your TBR pile? I'm excited to start - let's make this year another great year for reading! And if you're participating in the read-a-thon as well, let me know so that I can check in on your progress and cheer you on!

Bout of Books

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
My Goals
Read at least 3 books
Participate in at least 5 challenges
Comment on at least 5 blogs per day

I'll do my best to try and reach my goals, but since I'll be working all week I won't beat myself up if I'm unable to meet them. がんばれ!
Books To Choose From
*subject to change*
   
   
    

*I'll also be starting Vampire Academy 
for a read-along hosted by Kelly @ Dandelion Dreams*

Updates

Monday
Books Completed:
none
Currently Reading:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (58% done)
Challenges Completed Today:
none
Thoughts:
I didn't get any sleep last night, so when I got off work today I wasn't in the best shape to stay up and read. Hopefully I can catch up on sleep tonight and will be able to stay awake easier tomorrow.
Tuesday
Books Completed:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Currently Reading:
*in between books*
Challenges Completed Today:
Thoughts:
I finished The Golem and the Jinni, and it was utterly amazing! Such fantastic writing and masterful storytelling - it's now a favorite! My next read will have to be something lighter, since I'll need time to recuperate after this one...
Wednesday
Books Completed:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Currently Reading:
xxxHOLiC: AnotherHOLiC by NisiOisiN (on page 43 of 208)
Storm Front by Jim Butcher (audiobook - on part 2 of 8)
Challenges Completed Today:
none
Thoughts:
It's a lot harder than I thought to read through these books - sometimes after work I feel like I don't have that much time for it, since I also have to make dinner, exercise, etc. I'll try my best, though!
Thursday
Books Completed:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Currently Reading:
xxxHOLiC: AnotherHOLiC by NisiOisiN (on page 108 of 208)
Storm Front by Jim Butcher (audiobook - on part 3 of 8)
Challenges Completed Today:
Thoughts:
I'm still trudging through! Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday - this weekend will be full of cramming! Also, that poem challenge was pretty fun, and I recommend you give it a shot.
Friday
Books Completed:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
xxxHOLiC: AnotherHOLiC by NisiOisiN
Currently Reading:
Storm Front by Jim Butcher (audiobook - on part 3 of 8)
Challenges Completed Today:
none
Thoughts:
Two books down, and now I need at least one more to read my goal. Hurrah for the weekend!
Saturday
Books Completed:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
xxxHOLiC: AnotherHOLiC by NisiOisiN
Currently Reading:
Storm Front by Jim Butcher (audiobook - on part 3 of 8)
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (23% done)
Challenges Completed Today:
none
Thoughts:
Sorry, I was planning on reading more today, but then I started playing Left 4 Dead 2 for the first time, thanks to Steam giving it away for Christmas...I think I stayed up until 3 am playing it.
Sunday
Books Completed:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
xxxHOLiC: AnotherHOLiC by NisiOisiN
Currently Reading:
Storm Front by Jim Butcher (audiobook - on part 3 of 8)
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (23% done)
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor (25% done)
Challenges Completed Today:
none
Thoughts:
Well, sadly I didn't get much reading done during the challenge. In fact, I kind of went all over the place, and now I'm in the middle of two YA books and one audiobook. I'm enjoying all three, but this is new for me, since I'm used to reading books one at a time (yet I have no problem juggling multiple TV shows at once, so I wonder why I haven't tried this before with books....)

Books Completed During This Challenge

 

7 comments:

  1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is sooo good! Read that one first.. you won't regret it!!! Good Luck!
    Angie
    Bout of Books Goals & Updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it - I look forward to starting it, even Wil Wheaton has started it and is already saying good things about it on Goodreads....thanks for the rec! Even if I don't read it next I will certainly read it within the next week!

      Delete
  2. I am doing this as well, just posted my video! :) Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - good luck to you also! I'm checking out your video right now!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're doing great! I loved The Golem and the Jinni but wouldn't exactly call it a quick read. I also think I needed some time for it to kind of marinate with me before moving on. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I actually started that one before the challenge, and since I was only about 30% through it, I incorporated it into the challenge (I prefer to read books one at a time, if I can, but sometimes there are exceptions). Thanks, and good luck to you, also!

      Delete
  4. Okay. I keep hearing stuff about Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Maybe I need to read it! You've got a good start on your goals so far. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)