Friday, November 30, 2012

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Friday, November 30, 2012 with 2 comments



Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is. Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued. 

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her

Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I started this one, but I am glad that I did! This was a super quick read, which I'm sure I could have finished in one sitting if not for work. I usually find myself annoyed with many of the female protagonists in YA novels today, but Ari was totally cool and down-to-earth. Sure, she kind of falls too hard too quickly for this guy Sebastian that she barely meets, but at least she admits it to herself. Plus, how many YA characters work as bail bondsmen?

But I really think what I loved most about the story was the setting of New 2, which is basically a New New Orleans. Especially the Garden District, which is filled with big old houses that are covered in overgrown vines - it just sounds beautiful! Ari stays in an abandoned mansion in the Garden District with a young girl named Crank, who had given her a ride across the New 2 border. Other boarders of the house include an energetic boy named Dub, an adorable little fanged gothic girl named Violet (and her white pet alligator), an older boy named Henri, and a cute boy with dark red lips named Sebastian. I found myself liking them all!

I know that more and more YA novels are starting to incorporate Greek mythology into their plots, but so far this is the first one I've read. I don't want to give to much away, but there's a small clue in the cover that hints to the myth this book is based on.... I have to say that it was a great choice by Ms. Keaton - it made the story really entertaining, and kept me wanting more! The mystery and culture of New New Orleans was also very intriguing, though I did get the feeling like it was Mardi Gras almost 24/7 there....but maybe it was just me.

At any rate, the story moved quickly, there was lots of action, and the romance wasn't at all "in-your-face" and didn't devour the plot in any way. It hasn't made it's way to my "favorites" pile, but I'm glad I took the time to read it. I've already started reading the sequel, A Beautiful Evil, which looks like it'll be a good, quick read as well!


Labels:

2 comments:

  1. I have read a few novels where Greek mythology is incorporated. I am not a huge fan of mythology, or at least I thought that I wasn't, but I enjoyed the ones that I have read. I have to start this series. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that incorporate Greek myths, so I might try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)