Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The 7 Deadly Sins of Reading

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 with 5 comments


Pfffttt....okay, so I wasn't tagged, but since I noticed this on Krystilyn @ Reading In Winter's blog, I knew I wanted to join in - I love tags! Thank you to Marie @ Ramblings of a Daydreamer for bringing over this tag from the BookTuber world into the Blogosphere, and to Malyza for creating it.

GREED
What is your most expensive book? What is your most inexpensive book?


I'm pretty sure that the most I've ever paid for a book was the $35 that I shelled out for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it came out. As for the cheapest - I'd have to say you can't get any cheaper than free. I've gotten some free books in the mail, either because they were ARCs for review or books won in giveaways. I've also gotten some really great books for fifty cents or less at garage sales and used book stores. I won't attempt to list them all.

WRATH
What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?


That is an insanely difficult question - but I suppose that if I have to choose someone, then I'd go with George R.R. Martin, simply for creating such an epic and amazing world, and then killing off so many fantastic characters. It had to happen, sure, but still...

GLUTTONY
What book have you deliciously devoured over & over with no shame whatsoever?


The Harry Potter series for sure - it's my most read series, as I read it on a pretty regular basis (any time I feel I've gone too long without it I pick it up again). But if I had to pick a stand-alone novel, then I'd go with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, because it's just that good.

SLOTH
What book have you neglected reading due to laziness?


Sadly, I've had a hard time choosing just one, but I think that I will go with Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, simply because I have been reading it since 2011 and still have not finished it. I really like it, and I plan to finish it, but for some reason I can only bring myself to read it in little snippets at a time. Lazy, right? Maybe I can get away with saying that I'm just savoring it...

PRIDE
What book do you talk about most in order to sound like an intellectual reader?


I honestly don't care much about appearing to be an intellectual reader. I mean, I admit to enjoying Twilight, for Pete's sake. But I will say that I do feel pretty smart whenever someone mentions a classic that I've read and know well enough to talk about, such as Hamlet, A Tale of Two Cities, or The Great Gatsby.

LUST
What attributes do you find most attractive in male or female characters?

I love male characters that are complex - in YA or NA fiction, whenever a story is told from a female's perspective, the male characters tend to seem very one dimensional. I also like it when a guy acts realistically. No lie, I'm still crushing pretty hard on Park from Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park, as well as Perry from Veronica Rossi's Under The Never Sky series, not only because they are both hot, but they both act like real people that I would want to know. People are complex in real life, so they should be complex in the story world, too. There are so many "pretty faces" in YA/NA novels that it's refreshing to see a guy that has more attributes than simply good looks.

ENVY
What books would you most like to receive as a gift?

At the moment I would love to get the Special Edition Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set - the one with the newly re-designed covers by Kazu Kubuishi. I've heard some complaints about their design, but I'm a fan!

A few other books on my wish-list include:

So, what's on YOUR deadly sin list? Feel free to share in the comments, or make a post of your own and send me the link!
Labels:

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is sooo fun! I thin I might do it on my blog on Friday. I'm not sure what my most expensive book is, though. And I love all the HP love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Send me the link if you decide to join in so I can see your answers. Thanks for stopping by, Quinn!

      Delete
  2. This is fun I want to participatee in this! Great answers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - you really should join it, it was fun! Let me know if you do! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah I see that the first question got warped a little bit through blogosphere :) My most expensive is also a HP one, but Page to Screen book that was like 55 € or around there. It's massive though, and in color on a glossy paper, so I get it :)
    I have yet to read Eleanor and Park but I liked Landline I read recently so I'll definitely read more Rowell's books.
    Good answers! HP ftw!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)