Monday, January 28, 2013

Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Monday, January 28, 2013 with 1 comment



It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

I tend to feel weird when I start reading a sequel to a book that I love - I can't help but have all of these questions running through my mind, like: What if this book doesn't live up to the first one? or What if the author decides to veer off in a completely different direction, and changes the characters too much? There's a lot to worry about when it comes to continuation novels. Luckily for me, those questions were immediately dismissed upon reading the first couple chapters of this book.

I don't know how she does it (perhaps with her powers of awesome, maybe) but Ms. Rossi managed to shell out a continuation novel to Under The Never Sky that truly felt like I was still reading the first book. And that's a rare statement for me to make, but I mean it - the writing felt the same, the characters felt like themselves, and the transition from book one to book two was woven seamlessly.

As in the first novel, Through The Ever Night continued to be told from the perspectives of both Aria and Peregrine. There's also more Roar! I just adore Roar, and I love his friendship with Aria and Perry. But I must highly recommend that before starting this book, you read Rossi's short novella, Roar and Liv, which will give you not only important details on its title characters, but some real insight into Perry's life before he met Aria. I had to stop reading this book about halfway through just so I could read the novella, because I could see that it was going to be helpful.

I don't want to spoil this sequel too much for any of you, so I'll just make this short and simple: Through The Ever Night was all I could ever hope for in a continuation novel, and so much more - so, so, sooo much more! I really enjoyed reading about Perry's relationship with the Tides, Aria's growing friendship with Roar, and getting to meet Sable and, finally, Liv. I don't know how I'm going to wait a whole year before I can read the finale to this epic trilogy, but I know that I will be pre-ordering book three so that I can read it as soon as it's released! Like book one, I give this story 5/5 Stars.


Labels:

1 comment:

  1. I sooo want this book. It is next on my list to buy. I might have to break and down and get it now. :) Wonderful review. I can't wait to see more Roar. And Perry. *sghs* Perry...

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)