Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 with 2 comments



"Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house. . . ."

When Coraline steps through a door to find another house strangely similar to her own (only better), things seem marvelous.

But there's another mother there, and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go.

Coraline will have to fight with all her wit and courage if she is to save herself and return to her ordinary life.

Let me just start by saying that this was one of the creepiest children's stories I have ever read. I admit, I saw the movie when it came out and I loved it, which is partially why I decided to read the book. The other part is that I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan - not just Neil Gaiman, the writer, but Neil Gaiman, the person. He's just awesome!

The thing about Coraline is that it is written so perfectly. And I don't know how to describe it, but the story just has this magical feeling to it, which, when combined with the creepiness of the other mother, makes me feel as though I should be reading this while wrapped up in a blanket by a campfire in the dead of night. If that makes any sense. I love all of the worlds that Gaiman creates through his writing, and this one is no exception.

I really feel as though I would have liked having Coraline for a best friend - she's quite a clever child, and very witty and brave. Even though the other mother was scary as hell, Coraline still managed to stand against her, no problem. This was yet another instance in which the book far outshines the movie, if only because I feel that this story is best experienced through Gaiman's writing. Though, for other aficionados of the film, I must say that the biggest difference (to me) between the movie and the book was that Wybie was not in the book - he was a character specifically created for the movie. The book didn't really need him, either, as it fits Coraline's personality to be more independent.

A highly recommended book - especially around Halloween!

Labels:

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you loved Caraline. I love it myself. Amazong review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this book on audio (read by Gaiman), and it was a delight. I LOVE Gaiman's mind. I should re-read it as a graphic novel too, I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)