Monday, November 14, 2016

{Movie Review} Everything Before Us

Monday, November 14, 2016 with No comments


IMDb
The Department of Emotional Integrity (DEI) documents all relationship activity. A 'relationship score' is given to keep people accountable for their choices. The score is public for all to see, and affects various aspects of daily life. Two couples, teenagers and early 30s, face different but intersecting challenges in their relationships within the rules of the DEI.
I found this movie randomly when browsing through Netflix, and it caught my eye. I love indie romance films - especially if they take place in some type of sci-fiction-y alternate universe (TiMER, anyone?). Plus, the fact that this one featured a mostly Asian-American cast made it a certainty that I'd watch it, as I don't think I've even seen a romance movie with Asian leads that wasn't a foreign film. Every actor was fantastic!

One of the couples featured in the film
Turns out, this movie was created by Wong Fu Productions, a company that I'm actually familiar with thanks to YouTubers like KevJumba (Kevin Wu) and Nigahiga (Ryan Higa) who've worked with them on a few projects. Apparently, Everything Before Us is their first feature film, and was originally released on Vimeo after being successfully crowdfunded on Indiegogo. MAN DO I LOVE THE INTERNET!!!

Anyway, this movie was fantastic, and certainly gave me a lot to think about. The story was great, and different from any movie I've seen before (a definite plus!). I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that it was very....unconventional.

My favorite character had to be Randall (played by Randall Park from Fresh Off The Boat), the DEI agent that worked on the relationship "cases" featured in the film. His character was full of dimension, and really stood out to me every time he was on screen. Of course, the entire film was well done and filled with talented actors - I'm really glad I stumbled across it. If you're looking for a romance film that has actual depth and "realness" to it, then I highly recommend this!

My Rating:
or 

4/5 Stars!
Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)