Friday, March 08, 2013





The vampires of Dayson city are preparing for war. Having lived in constant fear of the Archway Corporation for decades, desperation has forced them into action. Their solution is to bring the First vampire, Alistair, back from the dead, a warrior famed for eradicating entire armies in the name of his kind. 

For fledgling vampire Catrina Malinka, the fabled return of some unknown deity falls low on her list of concerns. Between fending off strangers trying to kill her in her dreams and trying to rein in an uncontrollable power that no one else even understands let alone shares, Catrina is forced to fight her assumed role in the war against Archway, which threatens to send her down a path she doesn’t want to travel.

The first book in The Blood of Ages series, “The Genesis” is an urban fantasy about the inescapable nature of Fate and the corruption of power.

1) With so many vampire novels out nowadays, readers have a wide selection of series to choose from. What makes the Blood of Ages series stand out from the crowd?
The majority of vampire novels these days seem to centre around the idea that either vampires are evil, else they're remorseful over what they are or have become. I've tried to steer away from both, while at the same time taking them back to the old school, where it's all about the hunger and the blood.

2) How did you come up with the idea for The Genesis, and why did you decide to make it a series?
I had the original idea for this book almost thirteen years ago, so the details are a little hazy now, but basically it was an amalgamation of films I'd seen recently, namely "The Matrix" and "Blade". Originally, the book was supposed to be stand-alone, but once I'd reached the end, I realised I hadn't spent enough time in this book's universe or with its characters. There was so much more than needed to be discovered and uncovered.

3) What did you enjoy the most about writing this novel?
I really enjoyed the time spent in the Otherworld, as it allowed for a bit of surrealism.

4) What did you dislike the most?
I occasionally had a tough time with Fox's character. It was sometimes difficult to draw the line between unreasonable and just a complete douche.

5) What are some of your favorite vampire novels/series?
I'm a big fan of Tanya Huff's Blood series, and while it's not technically vampires--more demons, though they do drink blood--my favourite book is Justine Musk's Bloodangel.

6) Any favorite quotes that you'd like to share?
"I can be disciplined, when circumstance calls for it. I mean, I spend nearly every night with you, and I havent put a bullet in either of our heads yet."

7) What book are you reading right now?
I'm working through Jim Butcher's Dresden Files at the moment. I'm currently upto book three, Grave Peril.

8) Where is your favorite place to go when you need to think?
I generally sit at my desk at home, put on the pair of noise-cancelling headphones I paid far too much money for, and close my eyes. That or I take a bath. I get some of my best ideas in the bath.

9) If you could create a soundtrack for The Genesis, which songs would you be sure to include?
Well, I do have my Blood of Ages iTunes playlist, all of which I would like to include, though I suspect they don't make movies long enough to cover 26 hours of music! I'd need to at least include "Freak on a Leash" by KoRn, "I Stand Alone" by Godsmack, and "Backwards" by Apartment 26.


Born and raised close to North York Moors, initial setting of American Werewolf in London, one might be excused for thinking K. L. Kerr's interests might lie with those furry beasts. But she has always preferred monsters of the fanged variety, having written the very first draft of her novel, The Genesis, aged sixteen.

When not writing, Kerr can be found playing the MMORPG, World of Warcraft, or listening to music from video game soundtracks. She still lives in the North of England, close to The Moors (keeping to the roads, naturally), with two cats who--like all cats--think they're people.  


Author Links
Website
Blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)