Sunday, October 06, 2013

The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington

Sunday, October 06, 2013 with 1 comment


Amazon | Goodreads

A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?

It's been a long time since I've actually read a ghost story, which is surprising, because as a kid I had a bit of an addiction to ghost stories - Goosebumps, The Dollhouse Murders, and Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark were some of my favorites. Something about them was just spine-tingling, and they were a lot of fun to read in the dark of night. Kim Harrington's The Dead and Buried was, for me, a great reminder of what made ghost stories so enjoyable to me as a child, while still staying relevant for me now that I'm older.

Not only was there a spooky atmosphere with a psychotic mean-girl haunting the new home of our protagonist, Jade, but there was also a cute romance, a sweet friendship, and an intriguing who-dunnit mystery interwoven throughout the story. I had fun trying to find out who murdered Kayla Sloane (Jade's unwanted ghost) and also discovering that I was correct with my deductions! In my opinion, a good mystery is neither extremely obvious or insanely difficult, but something that can be solved when taking the time to actually examine the clues, which is what I enjoyed about this book.

Another thing I liked was that Jade collected gemstones and knew the meanings behind each one (like emeralds, which are lucky for love, and onyx, which can defend against negativity). It was my first time reading about a character with a hobby like that, and it was fun to learn about the properties about the various stones - I even started to research them a bit more online afterwards, and when a book gets me interested in researching something I've read about, it's a definite win.

I do have to say, however, that I wished the ending had gone on just a bit further. Everything wrapped up well enough, but I felt that it was just a bit too abrupt. Jade's resolution with her stepmother, Marie, was also a bit too corny for me. Thus, I have to give this book 4 stars rather than 5. But it was still a fun read, and is a perfect choice for an October/Halloween read!


Labels:

1 comment:

  1. I read this book awhile ago, but I definitely enjoyed it. I'm always a sucker for ghost stories. I think I felt the same way about the ending too. Glad you liked it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are truly appreciated, and I always try to respond to each of you at your own blogs. Have an awesome day! :)